We provide information on our collections and advice about relevant sources free of charge. Visitors to East Sussex Record Office may also carry out research free of charge.
Historical documents are often confusing. They may be in Latin, contain unfamiliar terms or take some time to trace. For a fee of £25 per hour (£50 for businesses), East Sussex Record Office will do your research.
We can research any information held at the East Sussex Record Office. Tell us what you're looking for and we'll do the rest. This service is especially helpful for people who cannot visit the Record Office in person.
If you want us to carry out the research for you, please complete the following form:
Information that we cannot provide
- Adoption information – we recommend you visit the National Archives website.
- Originals of birth, marriage and death certificates – copies of these can be ordered through our website. Find out about buying copies of certificates.
- Records before 1100 – the oldest document in our archive dates back to 1101.
- Exam results – contact the educational institute where the exams were taken or the relevant examination board.
- Advice during legal disputes.
- Information withheld from the public under privacy and data protection legislation.