The collections (also known as holdings) held at the Record Office include documents relating to:
- parish, borough, district and county councils, police, schools, health authorities (including hospitals) and workhouses
- quarter sessions, petty sessions, county courts and coroners
- taxation and rating authorities, vehicle licensing, maritime and river authorities
- manorial, estate and family, solicitors, deeds, businesses, societies and charities
- ecclesiastical parishes, other churches and wills
- maps and plans.
Search our collections – Access to Archives
Access to Archives (A2A) lists copies of catalogue entries relating to records held in archives across the country. Around 90% of our holdings are available electronically on the A2A website, so it is worth searching here before contacting or visiting the record office.
Tithe maps are useful for local, building and family history studies. They include the boundaries of fields, woods, roads and rivers and locations of buildings. Most date from the 1840s and follow old parish boundaries.
Help us identify images
We hold thousands of photographs showing places and people from the county's past and sometimes we can't identify them. See if you can help us with any of the photographs we've uploaded to Flickr:
Guidance and lists of our records