Asbestos – from Friday 22 August you will be able to dispose of asbestos at Newhaven Household Waste Recycling Site. It is also accepted at Eastbourne, Hastings and Heathfield. Seaford will no longer have this facility.
The site is on the industrial estate one third of a mile north east of Newhaven town train station, off New Road, BN9 0EH.
On the one way system from the swing bridge, travelling east on Drove Road (A259), take the second exit (signed London A26). Follow the road as it bends left. At the t-junction turn right onto New Road (A26). The site is the first unit on your right.
Travelling west approaching the town from Seaford, take the second exit at the Lidl roundabout, then take the third exit ('3 o'clock') at the mini roundabout onto New Road (A26). The site is the first unit on your right.
Newhaven Houshold Waste Recycling Site location map
- April to end September: Monday to Sunday 9am to 6pm
- October to end March: Monday to Saturday 8am to 4pm, Sunday 9am to 4pm
- Bank Holidays: Open to usual hours (closed Christmas day, Boxing day and New Years day)
- Christmas Eve and New Years Eve: Close at 1pm
What you can recycle
- Aluminium foil
- Car batteries
- Cooking oil
- Electrical goods
- Engine oil
- Fluorescent tubes/Energy saving bulbs
- Glass bottles/Jars
- Green garden waste/Christmas trees
- Household batteries
- Metal items
- Newspapers/Magazines/Junk mail/White Telephone Directories
- Plastic bottles
- TVs/Computer monitors
- Yellow Pages
- Household waste
- Bonded asbestos
- Vehicle height limit of 2 metres (6 feet, 6 inches). Barriers can be opened for household waste brought in taller vehicles, provided they meet the other site requirements.
- Vehicles with a gross vehicle weight of 3500kg or above are not permitted.
- No vehicles with Luton, flatbed or tipper bodies.
- Trailers must be single axle and no more than 1.8 metres (6 feet) in length, not including the tow bar.
- Pedestrian access via dedicated entrance. There is no parking outside or near the site for oversize vehicles. It is therefore not permitted to park oversize vehicles outside or near the site and bring waste into the site on foot.
- Large heavy bags like tonne bags or hippo bags cannot be used.
- Only 6 small bags (roughly 25kg each) of soil or hardcore will be accepted per calendar month, per household.
- Only 4 sheets or 6 small bags (roughly 25kg each) of bonded asbestos and plasterboard will be accepted per calendar month, per household. Bonded asbestos must be double wrapped in two layers of plastic. In order to monitor and enforce this monthly limit the staff will record the record name, address and vehicle registration of all residents bringing asbestos to the site.
- Only 2 tyres will be accepted per calendar month, per household.
- Small amounts of household chemicals will be accepted in sealed and clearly labelled containers.
- Soil conditioner, made from green garden waste collected at the household waste recycling sites and from the kerbside collection schemes, is available to buy at the site.
- East Sussex County Council